Reconnecting Practicing Hygienists with the Nation's Leading Educators and Researchers.

Chloride Dioxide Mouthrinse

Ask the Expert ForumCategory: Periodontal TherapyChloride Dioxide Mouthrinse
guestuser asked 8 years ago
I am wondering if a chloride dioxide mouthrinse could be used in place of a chlorhexidine rinse in the treatment of periodontal diseases.
1 Answers
Jill Rethman, RDH, BA answered 5 years ago
Chloride dioxide mouthrinses utilize stabilized chlorine dioxide as the active ingredient in addition to citric acid and water. Chlorine dioxide is essentially a disinfectant that releases oxygen to kill anaerobic bacteria. In theory, this would be beneficial in treating periodontal disease, as most of the pathogens associated with it are anaerobic bacteria. Evaluation of the literature, however, reveals that there are insufficient studies showing chloride dioxide’s clinical efficacy against gingivitis. In contrast, chlorhexidine mouthrinse is well documented in its effectiveness against gingivitis. Unfortunately, discoloration (staining) is a possible side effect associated with chlorhexidine use. Chloride dioxide mouthrinse does not cause staining and has no other reported adverse effects. There is evidence that chlorine dioxide reduces breath malodor caused by sulphur-containing chemicals released by anaerobic bacteria. Chloride dioxide significantly reduces breath malodor by chemically neutralizing the sulphur-containing chemicals that cause the odor. Bottom line, chlorine dioxide is a great option for patients who experience breath malodor, but it should not replace chlorhexidine as a treatment for gingivitis/periodontal disease.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

Privacy & Cookies Policy