Use of Fluoride Varnish in Caries Prevention
As this effective preventive tool is widely used, oral health professionals need to remain up-to-date regarding product innovations and the most current evidence-based approaches.
After reading this course, the participant should be able to:
- Identify the prevalence of caries in the United States.
- Explain the US Food and Drug Administration approval process and the American Dental Association recommendations concerning fluoride varnish.
- Discuss the clinical effectiveness of fluoride varnish in a comprehensive, customized fluoride program for individual patients.
- Compare and contrast the clinical effectiveness of fluoride varnish with other professional topical fluoride applications.
- Identify patient populations that will benefit from fluoride varnish application.
- Describe the various fluoride varnish formulations and delivery systems.
This course was published in the October 2017 issue and expires October 2020. The author has no commercial conflicts of interest to disclose. This 2 credit hour self-study activity is electronically mediated.