Preventing Caries Through Diet
Clinicians need to understand the prenatal and post-natal dietary factors associated with early childhood caries.
After reading this course, the participant should be able to:
- Discuss the risk factors for early childhood caries (ECC).
- Identify the role of maternal prenatal dietary factors in ECC development.
- Explain how consumption of beverages and foods impacts the risk of ECC.
- List the dietary interventions that can help reduce the prevalence of ECC.
- Discuss the clinical strategies available to help parents promote oral health and reduce caries risk.
This course was published in the December 2015 issue and expires December 31, 2018. The authors have no commercial conflicts of interest to disclose. This 2 credit hour self-study activity is electronically mediated.