Effects of Aging on Periodontal Health
CE Sponsored by Colgate in Partnership with the American Academy of Periodontology
The cumulative effects of periodontal diseases make it difficult to distinguish long standing disease from age related incidence of disease.
After reading this course, the participant should be able to:
- Discuss the age-related changes of the periodontium that occur at the cellular and tissue level.
- Compare and contrast the two hypotheses—the cumulative effect hypothesis and age-altered susceptibility hypothesis—that may explain older adults’ susceptibility to periodontal diseases.
- Identify the age-related changes of immune responses that may affect periodontal health.
- List the age-related changes of gingival microbial composition.
- Explain the age-related changes in clinical periodontal parameters.
This course was published in the July 2017 issue and expires July 2020. The author has no commercial conflicts of interest to disclose. This 2 credit hour self-study activity is electronically mediated.